Buying a new home can be one of the most exciting times of your life. But, the whole process of actually moving can be awfully stressful. Use this handy guide to help you prepare for your move into a new home.
A Few Months Out
- Create a budget: like your new home, moving is not cheap! Before you do anything, you need to know your budget so you can plan accordingly
- Organize yourself: trust us, there is going to be a lot of documents. Get a binder, or use an online tool like Dropbox or Google Drive to keep everything in one place
- Start looking for a moving company: the internet is a great tool, but so are your friends! Ask them, or even your neighbours, for who they used for their move.
- Need some storage space for a few weeks? Check out PODS, they are super handy and can help you move
- Prepare to change your address: start with the big stuff (health card and driver’s license, banks), but don’t forget about businesses who may rely on sending you mail. You don’t want that Amazon package going to your old home
- If you’re moving to a new area, begin researching schools, doctors, dentists, gyms, etc.
- Oh, and don’t forget, book time off for the day of the move!
Getting Closer: Under Two Months
- Start packing: start with rooms you don’t frequent as much. This is as much about packing as it is about discarding. Identify what you need and what you don’t, and obviously don’t pack what you don’t need!
- Host a garage sale: the perfect way to get rid of the stuff you don’t need
- Boxes and supplies: You can’t move without supplies! Take a trip to your local hardware store and start collecting boxes, tape, protective equipment, etc.
- Mark boxes: fragile, kitchen, bathroom, etc. It is helpful to keep track of your valuables as well and what box they are in and to ship them separately from the other boxes
- We recommend packing a little every day, that way you aren’t scrambling at the last second!
The Final Stretch: Two Weeks Out
- Time to finish packing: pack an essentials bag (toiletries and the like), so you have them for the last two weeks
- Confirm your address has been changed
- Clean out your fridge and pantry, consider donating non-perishables. Meal prepping for the last two weeks is a great way to ensure you don’t waste any food or run out of food!
- Confirm moving dates and times with the moving company and anyone else you have made arrangements with
- Clean your home before you leave, it’s just the nice thing to do! Take photos too, so you can prove you left it in good condition
- Make sure to properly dispose of any toxic chemicals
- If you have little ones or pets, hire someone to look after them for the day, it will make your life easier with one less thing to worry about
- Forward your mail
- Transfer your utilities
Good luck with your move, we hope this helps to make this exciting change a little less stressful!